Stump Removal Chemicals May Be The Method Of Choice In Certain Situations
When tree removal is required and approved/permitted, most casual observers might associate this activity with essentially the dismantling of a tree – chopping and/or cutting down the branches and the trunk. What may be overlooked, however, is the fact that the stump should also be removed before this process might be deemed complete.
Although it may not protrude above ground to any extent after the tree has been felled, the stump may need to be removed for any number of reasons, such as personal safety, bug infestation, encroachment of other tree roots/nearby structures, and re-landscaping.
The cost and time required to remove a stump can vary greatly based on the following:
- The type or method of stump removal
- The urgency to have the job completed
- The number of stumps to be removed
- Age of the tree – size/root entanglement
- Ease of access for work crews/equipment
- The type of wood and the soil conditions
In terms of the methods of stump removal, there are a few different options, including:
- Natural decay
- Stump grinding
- Physical/manual labour
- Stump removal chemicals
With particular reference to stump removal chemicals, most brands are distributed in either powder or granular form and contain high concentrations/percentages of nitrogen, which has the quality of accelerating decay. Some of the more popular brands of stump removal chemicals are: Bonide Stump-Out, Spectracide, and Green Light.
Property owners may choose these chemicals as their preferred method for any/all of the following reasons or circumstances:
- More economical than mechanical grinding
- Cost-effectiveness for multiple stump removal
- There is an aversion to manual labour or burning
- To expedite the process versus natural decay
- When urgency is generally not a consideration
On the contrary, when time is of the essence and there may be hesitation on the part of property owners to attempt a stump removal on their own, they may benefit from the professional stump removal services offered by the DreamWorks Tree Services team.
Tips For Using Tree Stump Removal Chemicals Safely And Effectively
When stump removal is to be done through the use of chemicals, its effectiveness will be dependent on a combination of proper application techniques and the observation of specific safety precautions.
A basic overview of this specific stump removal process is reflected in the following:
- Cut the stump as close to the ground as possible (preferably with a chain saw)
- Drill holes vertically into stump to a depth of 8-10 inches (spaced 2-3” apart)
- Drill holes in from the sides – parallel to ground, intersecting with vertical holes
- Pour chemical into vertical holes (apply in liberal quantities)
- Pour water into vertical holes (follow instructions with respect to the amount)
- Cover the stump (wood, rocks, tarp) plus block its access to children and pets
- Regularly inspect the condition of the stump for a sponge-like consistency
- When this consistency is achieved, chip/break as much of the stump as possible
- Douse remainder of stump with kerosene – cover and let soak for several weeks
- Burn the kerosene-soaked stump – do not leave the fire unattended at any time
- After a cooling period, clean out the hole, firmly fill with soil, and plant grass/sod
Once again, should there be any concerns with the use of stump removal chemicals or the application of the above process, or if an alternate method would be preferred, property owners are advised to call upon the experience and expertise of our expert tree care providers.
If you require stump removal services but are concerned about using chemicals, call us at DreamWorks Tree Services today at either 647-924-2627 or 1-800-407-9917 or contact us to discuss our alternative stump removal options.