Preventing Lawn Disease Can Lead to a Generally Healthier-Looking Property
While most lawns are snow-covered at this time of year, homeowners should be mindful of the fact that maintenance cannot go into hibernation, so to speak. Attention to lawn care throughout the entire year, including the winter, can help prevent disease and other soil-related issues when the growing period returns in the spring; and a healthy lawn not only contributes to curb appeal, but it can also contribute to the health of trees, gardens, and shrubbery as well.
Lawn disease is opportunistic; it takes hold in the lawn and soil as a result of ineffective maintenance practices, resulting in any number of common fungal syndromes that can produce brown or yellow patches or the proliferation of mushrooms. Some of the factors that lead to lawn or grass disease would include:
- Lack of aeration – soil becomes compacted and inhibits the depth/expansion of roots
- Poor watering techniques – over-watering, watering too often, or not watering at all
- Incorrect mowing – cutting too short or cutting with a dull blade can rip out the roots
- Lack of fertilization – soil nutrients are not replenished so trees/lawns must ‘compete’
- Lack of regular seeding – can lead to an overgrowth of weeds and an unhealthy lawn
- Accumulation of thatch (organic debris) – blocks the sun; prevents water penetration
Furthermore, certain practices throughout the winter, albeit inadvertent or unintentional, can impact the state/health of the lawn when its dormancy concludes. To maintain good lawn care practices during this period, homeowners should consider the following:
- Preventing heavy foot traffic by both people and pets
- Limiting the ‘potty area’ for pets to a controlled space
- Avoiding rock salt coming in contact with lawns, trees
- Regularly removing any fallen branches, other debris
- Not parking vehicles or heavy equipment on the lawn
Year-round attention to lawn care can help prevent disease, resulting to healthier, more appealing grass and, by extension, a generally healthier-looking property including all its trees and shrubs.
Complete Tree Services to Compliment the Overall Aesthetics of Your Property
To further enhance the look and appeal of their property, homeowners may find benefit in the complete tree services provided by DreamWorks Tree Services. In the same vein as maintaining good lawn care practices, proper tree maintenance can influence tree health and compliment the overall aesthetics of any residential or commercial properties.
The experienced professionals at DreamWorks Tree Services can provide knowledgeable and expert services for a variety of tree and lawn care needs, such as:
- Tree Planting
- Spur-Free Tree Pruning
- Tree Removal
- Hedge Trimming and Shrub Care
- Stump Grinding
- 24/7 Emergency Storm Damage Cleanup
- Cabling and Bracing
If you have concerns about the condition of your lawn and trees, or have suspicions that lawn disease could be an issue when the growing season resumes in the spring, call the specialists from DreamWorks Tree Services today at 647-924-2627 to discuss how our complete tree services can provide the solution you need.