Tree Planting: How Much Water a Newly Planted Tree Needs
Using Tree Planting Services to Take Care of Your Trees
People often ask how much water a newly planted tree needs. The answer depends on the following factors:
- The season in which you plant the tree
- The type of tree you want to plant
- Amount of rainfall you get in your region
- The average temperature of the area
- Wind and soil conditions
All newly planted trees will require plenty of water to grow and establish their roots and nurture them to maturity.
Watering Newly-Planted Shrubs and Trees
Tree planting and watering are all about finding the right balance. The number of times you should water new plants depends on the moisture content in the soil. Keep the following things in mind when watering new shrubs and trees:
- Dig the soil about 4-6 inches deep to check if your tree needs water.
- Do not let the soil become too soaked or dry.
- Ideally, the top 12 inches of soil around the root ball must be moist.
- Apply around 4-10 gallons of water each week during the first two growing seasons.
- If the soil is dry, pour five gallons of water and check periodically to see whether it is enough.
- If you get rainfall, remember to water your trees less than usual.
- The rule of thumb is to water them once a day after planting for the first two weeks.
Keeping Young Trees Properly Hydrated
The best approach to keep new plants and trees hydrated is to install a hydration system such as sprinklers. This will keep the soil moist and ensure the roots get enough water to grow and spread out. You could also consider using a hose with a diffuser nozzle to water them. Here are a few essential things to consider when watering plants and trees:
- Water the base of the trees and distribute it properly to encourage even root development.
- If you are using an automated system to water your trees, be sure to check it regularly.
- Keep note of the amount of water that you are applying to your trees.
- Apply organic mulch at the base of your trees to help them retain water and prevent the growth of weeds.
- Ensure that water gets drained well after ten minutes of application.
- Watch out for any changes and take suitable corrective actions.
Do You Need to Water Newly-Planted Fruit Trees More?
Many people believe that fruit trees require more water in their initial months. However, this is not true. For the first couple of months, you need to make sure they have enough water to keep the top few inches of soil moist and wet. Then adjust the quantity according to the soil’s capacity to hold water.
We Offer Tree Planting Services in Newmarket, Toronto & the GTA
Tree planting may not be as easy as it seems because it involves many aspects such as choosing the right type of trees according to the weather and soil conditions, selecting the right spot, and more.
At DreamWorks Tree Services, we provide comprehensive tree planting services including selecting the tree, choosing the site and timing of planting, watering, mulching, and fertilizing. We have the resources and the experts who can do the job well.
For more information about our tree planting services, call our tree care experts at 647-793-8903 or toll-free 1-800-407-9917. You could also fill out our online form to get a free property assessment.