A Tree Care Checklist for the Fall Season
Capitalize on the Knowledge of Certified Experts for Your Fall Tree Care Needs
The unseasonably warm temperatures and bright sunshine experienced across Southern Ontario since the children returned to school are certainly a welcomed reprieve for those who like to enjoy summer to its fullest; whereas Septembers of years past would often be the signal to begin moving many summer activities indoors, this current abnormality in the weather has extended the time for backyard barbecues and swimming pool usage and increased the need for sunscreen by outdoor sports enthusiasts.
Despite the euphoria generated by these exceptional conditions, residents of the Greater Toronto Area should not be lulled into a state of complacency; the calendar will continue to move forward and the winter season will soon arrive in full force, which in turn means that homeowners will still need to prepare their properties for the coming cold and snow. Part of these preparations should focus on tree care, specifically the measures necessary to ensure tree health and protection over the winter and to promote strong growth in the spring.
While many homeowners might feel that their trees are sufficiently robust to withstand a harsh Toronto winter all on their own, the investment of some time and effort in fall tree care can greatly enhance the odds of tree survival throughout the cold-weather months.
To that end, the tree care specialists at DreamWorks Tree Service offer the following list of tips to aid local homeowners with how to take care of their trees this fall:
- Remove any and all dead, diseased, or weakened branches
- Light pruning may be done for the purpose of shaping trees
- Water deep into the tree roots once the leaves have fallen
- Repeat on an occasional basis until the ground has frozen
- Apply a slow-release fertilizer to replenish nutrients in the soil
- Add a layer of fresh mulch (4-6” deep) around base of the tree
- Note – leave a small gap between the mulch and the tree trunk
- This can be particularly important for young trees and shrubs
- Cable and/or brace branches susceptible to snow/ice damage
- Wrap trunks in burlap from the ground to the lowest branches
- Surround shrubs/bushes with burlap to shield against windburn
- The fall season is an opportune time to plant new trees in Toronto
- Minimizes chance of stress; allows enough time to build root mass
While these tree care measures can indeed be done by some do-it-yourself homeowners or amateur gardeners during the fall months, others may be hesitant or less confident in how to appropriately take care of their trees with respect to:
- Proper tree pruning techniques
- Choice and application of fertilizer
- Identifying/removing diseased wood
- When, how much, and how often to water
- How to correctly apply or install burlap wrap
- Types of trees to plant or not to plant in the fall
Consequently, homeowners may find it advantageous in these instances to capitalize on the knowledge and skills of certified tree care specialists like the staff from DreamWorks Tree Services.
A Complete Range of Tree Care Services to Satisfy the Needs of Your Property
Unlike summertime gardening, such as planting and nurturing flower beds and vegetable gardens, tree care is a continual process that requires specific actions at different times of the year. Yet for many property owners, tree care may be a burdensome task amid their other priorities, responsibilities, and personal interests; for these reasons, there are professional tree care service providers such as DreamWorks Tree Services.
DreamWorks Tree Services can capably support property owners who want or need help with how to take care of their trees; the services offered by the experts at DreamWorks include but are not limited to:
- Tree planting
- Tree removal
- Stump grinding
- Spur-free pruning
- Cabling and bracing
- Storm damage clean-up
For additional information on the complete range of tree care services provided by the team from DreamWorks Tree Services, visit
To see that your trees receive the proper care throughout the fall season and to ensure their health and vitality all year long, call the tree care specialists at DreamWorks Tree Services today at 647-793-8903 or contact us to request a free property assessment.