Everything You Need to Know About Tree Pruning
Tree pruning is the process of removing selective branches and portions of a tree that are damaged, diseased or overgrown. If you want the trees on your property to be healthy, look their best, and ensure that they do not become a safety risk, it helps to use tree pruning services. Read on to learn about the methods of pruning, the benefits, and things to avoid when trimming trees.
Different Methods of Tree Pruning
According to the professionals offering tree pruning services, the right pruning technique depends on many factors such as the habitat of the tree, the type, and reasons for pruning. Also, it helps to know how to choose the appropriate trimming method for the trees on your property by considering the result you want. Here is a list of different techniques of pruning:
This tree pruning technique helps to remove specific branches throughout the crown without changing the shape and appearance of the tree significantly. It can help free up a full canopy to allow more sunlight and maintain the shape for many years.
If you have a tree that has outgrown its space, you can use this method to reduce its width or height. It involves cutting off the branches that are too long or are a threat to your property to maintain the tree’s natural shape.
As the name suggests, this tree pruning method can help give a clean and neat appearance. It involves making small cuts to clear out the damaged, dead, and diseased limbs of the trees.
- Structural Cuts
This method is a combination of one or more of the above techniques to improve the long-term health of the trees on your property.
Benefits of Tree Pruning
Pruning the trees is an investment in their long-term wellness and has the following benefits:
- Tree pruning gives the trees a polished, clean, and healthy appearance to enhance the appeal of your landscape and property.
- It can help improve airflow and encourage better branch distribution.
- Using the right tree pruning technique can help if you want to promote the growth of new branches and improve the health of your trees.
- It can help you get rid of dead, damaged, or broken branches, preventing complete removal of the tree.
- Tree pruning can save your property from possible damage due to partially broken or fallen branches.
- It can help reduce the risk of branches getting tangled with power lines.
- It restricts the growth of the plants and trees and prevents overgrowth.
- Pruning the trees improves their overall health in the long term.
Advantages of Professional Tree Pruning Services for Commercial Properties
If you are a commercial property manager or a business owner, you will need to ensure that your building and grounds are well-maintained. A balanced investment of time and effort across a range of maintenance obligations, including groundskeeping, can help. However, this should not be limited to merely cutting the lawn or occasionally weeding any flower beds, but also include tree pruning services. It helps to know that regular and proper tree pruning can offer the following benefits:
Enhance Curb Appeal
- Tree pruning improves the general appearance of the property to visitors and passersby
- Adds stateliness to the grounds with strategic areas of sun and shade
- Allows visitors to read building signage from street level
- Eliminates obscurity of signs for onsite traffic or pedestrians
- Creates an aura of vitality for the grounds and the business
- Presents an attractiveness and allure for potential customers
- Provides sufficient access in the event of an emergency
- Allows for penetration of sunlight through windows
Safety and Accessibility
- Keeps walkways and parking areas free from overhanging branches
- Ensures that power lines are free and clear of potential damage
- Reduces the probability of property damage and personal injury
To maximize these potential benefits, it helps to consider a professional tree care services provider near you. They have trained specialists who can optimize tree health and enhance curb appeal while eliminating any safety risks associated with DIY tree care and maintenance.
Spur-Free Tree Pruning Helps to Avoid Potential Tree Damage
Spur-free tree pruning is of particular importance for tall or mature trees that must otherwise be scaled or climbed as a means of providing such services. It utilizes ropes and safety harnesses or aerial lifts and bucket trucks for working at heights instead of having a tree service provider climb by digging sharp spurs directly into the trunk. This method offers several advantages, such as:
- Avoiding acute trunk damage
- Eliminating damage to the bark
- Reducing the likelihood of infection
- Inhibiting the potential for insect infestation
- Preventing permanent damage to living tissue
Now that you know the benefits and techniques of tree pruning service, let’s look at the things you must not do when trimming your trees.
7 Tree Pruning Mistakes that People Make and How to Avoid Them
- Pruning Without a Goal
When you prune or trim trees, it helps to have a specific goal. It could be anything, such as increasing the production of flowers and fruits or removing dead limbs. Otherwise, you may end up cutting more portions than necessary and cause irreversible damage to the plants.
- Topping the Trees
Topping or cutting the topmost portion of a tree tends to weaken it. Also, this sends the plant into repair mode, leading to a burst of bushy and uneven growth. If you want to reduce the tree’s overall size, it helps to prune small portions of lateral branches.
- Improper Cuts
An improper cut such as a stub cut or cutting too far from the trunk may damage the plant. It does not allow the tree to heal and impedes its overall growth. Also, it can result in decay, eventually leading to the plant’s death.
- Pruning Too Close to the Trunk
Flush cuts refer to trimming the branches too close to a tree’s trunk. It damages the plant because removing the branch collar eliminates a tree’s natural protection boundary. To avoid this, be sure to leave the branch bark ridge and collar intact when pruning the trees.
- Ripping Off the Bark
When you make improper cuts on heavy branches, they may fall and rip the bark before you can make a clean cut. It helps to use the three cut tree pruning technique to avoid such situations. Start from the bottom of the limb and cut 1 – 2 feet out on the branch you want to remove. Then, slice around halfway through it.
- Using Dull Tools to Prune the Trees
Although using dull tools to trim your trees may not seem like a problem, it can cause significant damage. Using unsharpened tools creates improper cuts and may shred or rip the bark. Be sure to use well-maintained and sharpened tools for tree pruning.
- Not Hiring the Pros
Professionals providing complete tree care services have the expertise and knowledge to prune trees. They know the correct techniques, can ensure the safety of people on the property and have the right pruning tools and equipment. This is why it helps to hire a reputable company to do the job.
We Offer the Best Services for Tree Pruning in Toronto
At DreamWorks Tree Services, we have qualified tree care experts to provide excellent tree pruning services. We follow the safest and most effective practices to prune trees and preserve their health by using ropes, safety harnesses, and bucket trucks.
Whether you want healthier trees on your residential property or need professional tree care services for your commercial property, we can help you. If a tree on your property could benefit from professional tree care and tree pruning services in Toronto, call our trained experts today at 647-924-2627 or fill out our form for a free property assessment.
You might also want to check our related posts: