Proper Tree Care In Toronto Can Help Magnolia Trees Thrive
Acclaimed in the title of a Hollywood movie that was filmed in the state of Louisiana, and by the backdrop of a major professional golf tournament held every April in Augusta, Georgia, a mention of the word magnolia may produce the image of an exotic tree or shrub that can only be found in the southern United States.
However, through the selection of an appropriately hardy species, plus proper tree care and attention by a home gardener or a professional arborist, magnolias can thrive right here in Toronto and the GTA.
A magnolia tree or shrub can add a very distinctive and appealing ornamental quality to any garden and/or type of property. Striking features of this species include:
- Large blooms (very often white)
- Sweet-scented/fragrant flowers
- Shiny/glossy and leathery dark green leaves
- Pods with red-orange berries (opening in fall)
- Can achieve heights of 40 to 80 feet
- Can span widths of 30 to 40 feet
- Can serve as an attractive yet effective hedge
To achieve the level of ornamental beauty and fragrance offered by a magnolia tree or shrub (or hedge), special tree care will be required. To encourage and maintain the growth and health of magnolias, an avid amateur gardener or a trained arborist should ensure that the following tips and practices are followed:
- Buy appropriate species for colder climates
- Plant magnolias in the early spring
- Plant in areas that receive full sun or light shade only
- Plant in areas protected from high winds/harsh weather
- Keep pruning to a minimum – prune only after flowering
- Exception: prune damaged or broken branches a.s.a.p.
- Soil should be kept moist and well-drained (but not wet)
- Soil cultivation should be minimal – root system is shallow
- Mow/trim nearby lawn cautiously – bark/wood damages easily
Despite its special care and nurturing requirements, the beauty and fragrance of a magnolia tree or shrub can convert any property into the envy of its neighbourhood. For homeowners who might prefer the visual and olfactory appeal of magnolias above all of the planting and maintenance work, DreamWorks Tree Services can provide the experienced and expert arborist services you need.
A Professional Arborist Can Be An Asset To Your Magnolia Trees
A magnolia tree can add much splendor and ambiance to your property, provided that you are willing to invest the time and effort in proper tree care and maintenance.
However, the impact of a busy lifestyle and/or any hesitation about the type of care and maintenance required by a magnolia tree may limit/impede your capacity to enjoy such beauty. This potential dilemma can be solved by contracting a professional tree care service such as DreamWorks.
Our arborists understand the intricacies of magnolia tree care and they are essentially full-service tree care specialists who can support all facets of nurturing your magnolia trees or shrubs, including
To discuss proper tree care for any/all types of trees, including magnolia trees and shrubs, call the professionals at DreamWorks Tree Services today at either 647-924-2627 or 1-800-407-9917 or contact us to book a free consultation with a trained and knowledgeable arborist.